Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Finding Honest Critiques

Finding Honest Critiques


This year I have joined a number of groups where I can get solid, honest feedback from other writers.  My picture books are by no means perfect and we cannot grow and learn without someone there to teach us. Even though we all have different writing abilities we can all help each other.

Is this the blind leading the blind? Yes, and it works.  When you look at your own work, you already know the tone you want to convey.  The feeling, the emotion, the point to the whole thing.  But the thing is, if others don't get it, you need to rewrite. 

There are phases you go through in the loss critique process.

1. Denial- No, you just don't get what I am trying to say.

2. Anger- What do you know? This is perfect.

3. Bargaining- What if I change this one word? Then do you get it?

4. Depression- I am NEVER going to make it as a writer.  I'm hopeless

5. Acceptance - I must rewrite, and rewrite, and rewrite to make this work.

Having someone point out your errors suchs  sucks. But our eyes are trained to skim when we know most of the content. It is a proven fact that we miss more of our own errors than we do on works we've never seen before.  Its true, I read it on the internet.

Just remember that no one is trying to bully or bash your work.  If they are then you need to find a new critique group or partner. We writers want other writers to succeed.  Does that mean we don't get jealous?  Hell no! I totally say, "Why wasn't it me to get an agent?" Then I remember-because this work must not be ready yet/right for them.

If you are willing to put in the work, write, study, write, rewrite, cut words, and keep writing, then you can make it.  Just don't give up! If you dream of being published then keep that dream alive.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment